How the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard Defamation Trial help me understand Trump supporters
If your a fan of Reality TV, currently there is no show greater than the Depp vs Heard trial. Johnny Depp wants to crush his former wife for damaging his career in Hollywood based on an op-ed she wrote in December of 2018 for the Washington Post
Johnny Depp and Amber Heard relationship began in 2012 when she was 26 and he was 48. The couple was married from 2015 to 2017.
The op-ed doesn’t mention Johnny Depp by name, but in it Amber Heard wrote that two years before the article’s publication . she became a “public figure representing domestic abuse”
In 2020, Depp sued a British tabloid for calling him a wife beater. He claimed that the goal of The Sun had been to convince their readers that he was a domestic abuser and to plea Rowling to drop him from the Fantastic Beasts film. Depp stated that he had initiated the lawsuit to clear his name, and alleged that Heard had instead been the aggressor in the relationship and had lied about being abused as part of a hoax.
Depp lost the suit. The Court ruled the newspaper met its burden by proving twelve of the fourteen incidents alleged of physical violence against Heard (See the bottom of the page)
Depp wants to destroy Heard!
October 2018, Depp discussed the allegations against him in an interview published in GQ Magazine, where he denied them and stated that he would “never stop fighting” them.
When I first heard of this public trial involving two celebrities I knew it was going to be good. I’m not a fan of Johnny Depp and I wouldn’t know Amber Hearn if she stood behind me wearing a name tag.
Once the opening statements were made, I was beyond ready. Two Pc’s, two tablets and my mighty 60 inch. I am on Twitter, Yahoo,You Tube, reading and making comments throughout the trial. 99.7 of the people online support Depp, Amber Heard is simply “That Bitch”
For more than two weeks, we have heard his side. We have learned he is a raging alcoholic and drug addict, with major fits of anger. We do know that she has attacked him several times.
We know throughout their marriage, she provoked him, he accused her of cheating on him. She says he was controlling/ Through a series of his friends, colleagues, agents and a people paid by his camp. What we haven’t heard (I could have missed it) that he has hit her.
Anyone watching this half of the trail, has long reached the conclusion, that the marriage was a toxic, bizarre, violent mess.
I’m having fun online, I’m not a fan of either. I take small humorous jabs where I can. Making fun of Amber’s outfits. If she has a stylist, that person should be shot in front of an Forever 21 store. Some days,she looks like a frumpy social worker, other days like hot secretary and then there is the hair, Heidi in prison, broken curling iron or hair surprise. I would love to trash Johnny, but I cant. The man is flawless. My sources online, say he is dressed by Dior. Hair is perfect, yes there is makeup, Botox and fillers, I’m not mad at the man, he’s nearly 60. If I had a couple bucks…….
Again its all in fun. I can’t get into fighting with complete strangers online. Never understood how some people get so worked up over words on screen.
He is suing her for 50 million dollars. The most she has ever had was 8 million dollars. She is currently worth less than 10. She is retaliating, suing him for 100 million.
The former acting couple has spent considerable amount of money to win over the public and the jury. A few days before Amber Heard was due to testify, she replaced her old PR firm for a new firm. She felt that her version of events weren’t being properly conveyed to the public.
When it comes to public opinion, Heard has as impossible task, getting the general public to like her. After a few days of testimony, if the Pope Testified on her behalf, she would still lose. On social media, Depp is a saint who married a narcissistic, crazy woman who lies all the time!
Actors, separating the Image from the man
I know what an actor is and I can separate the man from role. Several years ago, I worked with a r man who said, he would never watch another Wesley Snipes movie, after Snipes appeared as a Drag Queen in the movie “Too Wong Foo”with Patrick Swayze. He was convinced the actions star wanted to wear a dress.
I was a big fan of “The Apprentice and Donald Trump, I never associated him or any actor with the role they played. When I was young, living in San Francisco and working for a rental car agency near Union Square. From time to time celebrities would rent or drop off their cars. Most were very nice and others weren’t. I met Robin Williams several times. He wasn’t the person you saw of TV, he was shy and reserved and very kind.
There were other celebrities,who played sweet roles on TV and film. When I met them they were anything but,some were rude and insulting. Giving everyone the benefit of doubt, it’s very possible they were having a bad day. I clearly remember meeting an actress who had a major role in the movie Beaches. After I told her how much I enjoyed her performance in the movie, she told me to go to hell!
Arnold Schwarzenegger announced his candidacy for Governor of California on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. When Leno asked him, what was his platform? he said he would tell us later. The Terminator, never told Californians how he intended to fix the State. At the end of the day, it didn’t matter, he won by a landslide.
- disapproving : a person exhibiting excessive enthusiasm and intense uncritical devotion toward some controversial matter (as in religion or politics)a religious fanatic [=extremist]
The fanatics are convinced they are serving a righteous cause and that all means are justified …— Flora Lewis
2: a person who is extremely enthusiastic about and devoted to some interest or activity
I’m having fun online. having fun online, making fun of Amber’s outfits, and some of the representation on both sides. I can’t get into fighting with complete strangers online. Never understood how some people get so worked up over words on screen.
Hollywood has a long history of doing what ever it takes to protect their investments. Billions in PR firms,attorneys.. If you wonder why no one ever called the police? Then you don;t under celebrity and Hollywood. Rapist, child molesters, abusers, kept from the public. Hollywood knew about Weinstein and Cosby. R, Kelly and Spacey in some cases for decades.
Johnny Depp has been on the screen for nearly thirty years. Many of his fans, including my daughter and a few female friends swoon at the mention of his name. Depp and his witnesses has been on the stand for more than two weeks. His ex wife Amber is considered the devil, she is liar, she wanted him for his money, and she is the ultimate bitch.
Many of his fans eagerly reject facts presented to the court. His last movies were flops, or that he didn’t appear or appeared late on set, costing the production company thousands. As for as his fan base, every fault, failure, in his life, Amber was the reason, forget they were married two years or their 20 year age difference. His alcoholism and drug excesses are easily attributed to Amber. They don’t believe anything she says and they cant wait for Depp’s Attorney to expose all of her lies.
Hollywood has a long history of doing what ever it takes to protect their investments.Billions in PR firms,attorneys.. If you wonder why no one called the police? Then you don;t under celebrity.. Rap.
During the Trump administration, I didn’t understand the blind loyalty to the man. Afger following this Depp vs Heard trail I began to understand.
There was a popular link, a petition circulating throughout social media, calling for the removal of Amber Heard from Aquaman 2. When I mentioned the movie was completed and scheduled to be released net spring, I was met with rage and accusation’s of fake news some of his fans were very emotional and believed she shouldn’t have any successes in her life because of what she has done to Johnny.
While I’m wired to look at the objective facts, fans aren’t. Many cant separate the art form or role from the man. They are drawn to the image and what it represents to them. The actions of the man (actor) is forgiven..
Many supporters of Former President Trump’s are drawn to his image of wealth and success an image they believe could repair the economy. For years ,millions of Americans watched him on “The Apprentice” where he wasn’t always politically correct.
Trump had been a celebrity since the eighties, his persona shaped by the best-selling book “The Art of the Deal.” But his business had foundered, and by 2003 he had become a garish figure of local interest a punch line on Page Six. “The Apprentice” mythologized him anew, and on a much bigger scale, turning him into an icon of American success. The New Yorker, How Mark Burnett Resurrected Donald Trump as an Icon of American Success By: Patrick Radden Keefe
Because of his image as a successful man, many of his supporters could accept his indiscretions, and mis-truths because at the end of the day, they ultimately believe the end justifies the means.
Johnny Depp roles have touched millions across the world. Some of his fans will block out the Sun for him. Actors, Johnny and Amber may have lost sight of the prize, the Jury. The general public wont be in the room.
It Amber’s turn, my daughter says she seems creditable today. She wants Depp’s attorneys to crush her.
In 2018, Johnny Depp brought a libel lawsuit in the UK against News Group Newspapers publishers of The Sun, which had called him a “wife beater” in an April 2018 article. The case had a highly publicized trial in July 2020, with both Depp and Heard testifying for several days. In November 2020, the High Court of Justice ruled that 12 of the 14 incidents of violence claimed by Heard were “substantially true”. The court rejected Depp’s claim of a hoax and accepted that the allegations Heard had made against Depp had damaged her career and activism. Following the verdict, Depp resigned from the Fantastic Beasts franchise, after being asked to do so by its production company, Warner Bros.
Alleged violent incidents
NGN presented the following 14 incidents where they alleged that Depp had been violent towards Heard:
- Incidents #1 and #2, early 2013: Depp, under the influence of alcohol and drugs, hit and shoved Heard on at least two occasions at her home.
- Incident #3, June 2013: During a weekend trip, an inebriated Depp had an altercation with a woman whom he thought had made a sexual advance towards Heard, who had previously been in a relationship with a woman. After this, Depp and Heard returned to their rented trailer, where he threw glass at Heard and ripped her dress, as well as caused extensive damage to the trailer. Heard also made further claims which were heard in closed court due to their nature and have not been publicly disclosed.
- Incident #4, May 2014: An inebriated Depp verbally insulted, threw objects at and kicked Heard during a private plane flight.
- Incident #5, August 2014: Depp shoved and hit Heard during his detox from opioids on his private island in the Bahamas.
- Incident #6, December 2014: NGN claimed Depp had been violent but did not present further details.
- Incident #7, January 2015: At a hotel in Tokyo, an intoxicated Depp hit Heard, grabbed her by her hair, and shoved her to the floor, not allowing her to get back up.
- Incident #8, March 2015: Depp caused Heard “injuries including a broken lip, swollen nose, and cuts all over her body”, and damaged a rented house they were staying in while he was filming the fifth installment of Pirates of the Caribbean in Australia. The incident took place over three days, during which Depp was high on drugs, and accidentally severed one of his fingers. He then used the stub to write insults about Heard to the house’s walls. Heard also stated that he put out a burning cigarette on his own cheek. Heard also made further claims which were heard in closed court due to their nature and have not been publicly disclosed.
- Incident #9, March 2015: At their Los Angeles home, Depp began to destroy Heard’s possessions and hit her. When Heard’s sister, Whitney Henriquez, intervened, Depp tried to attack her, which led Heard to hit him.
- Incident #10, July 2015: Depp hit, pushed and choked Heard during a train trip in south-east Asia.
- Incident #11, November 2015: Depp, who had been using drugs, pushed Heard and threw items at her.
- Incident #12, December 2015: Depp assaulted Heard by hitting, shoving, head-butting, dragging her around their apartment by her hair, suffocating her with a pillow, and threatening to kill her. The next day, Heard was to appear in The Late Late Show with James Corden.
- Incident #13, April 2016: An inebriated Depp threw objects at Heard and pushed her at their LA apartment.
- Incident #14, May 2016: At their LA apartment, an inebriated Depp hit Heard, threw her phone at her face and dragged her by her hair, as well as broke items. Their neighbours and friends Elizabeth Marz, Raquel Pennington and Joshua Drew were present next door and intervened, with iO Tillett Wright, who had been on the phone with Heard during the incident, calling 911.